Fall Is in the Air!
Welcome back to a new school year!
On behalf of the Ontario CEC Board of Directors, I extend sincere appreciation for all you do to support students and families, especially those with special education needs and exceptionalities. We acknowledge the challenges that you continue to experience
as you navigate the complexity of providing services to individuals with exceptionalities during a pandemic.
We are pleased to remind you that our 65th Annual Provincial Conference will be held as a hybrid event on December 3 and 4, 2021 at the Toronto Eaton Centre Marriott.
Our Annual Provincial Awards Ceremony will also take place during the conference.
The Ontario CEC Annual General Meeting (AGM) will be held on Thursday, December 2, 2021 at 5 pm at the Toronto Eaton Centre Marriott. Virtual attendance will also be available. The Agenda, 2020 AGM Minutes, Nominations Slate, Proxy Form and
other materials will be sent to members 30 days prior to the meeting, as well as information about how to attend virtually.
On behalf of the Ontario CEC Board of Directors, I invite you to participate in this meeting, as we review our 2021 activities. Should you not be able to attend, we would ask that you complete a proxy form, as we require quorum to carry out the business
portion of our Annual General Meeting. The instructions will be on the proxy form, which will be sent to you and also posted on the Ontario CEC website.
Council for Exceptional Children website: https://exceptionalchildren.org/
Explore the amazing resources available on the CEC website.
Under the EXPLORE tab, click on All Topics to find more than 50 topics related to children and youth with exceptionalities.
Under the IMPROVING YOUR PRACTICE tab you will find:
- Resource Library – Resources for Teaching Remotely, Podcasts, Quick Takes (video clips)
- CEC Learning Library
- High Leverage Practices
Please share the following information with colleagues who would benefit from a CEC membership.
Check out the new membership packages now available and be sure to encourage your colleagues to join CEC! https://exceptionalchildren.org/get-involved
Top Reasons to Join CEC
- Discount rate on the Annual Ontario CEC Conference
10 % discount for new members who register for the conference. More information is available here.
- YES, I CAN AWARDS is celebrated each year to recognize children and youth with exceptionalities. Staff, parents and local business are also recognized for their commitment in supporting, teaching and encouraging students with exceptionalities. View information about the process and past awards recipients at https://ontario.exceptionalchildren.org/ under the Awards Tab.
- Access to journal articles, member discounts on publications and events.
- Access to an online membership community where you can network with parents, special education educators, support staff, administrators, College and University professors. This is so important during virtual learning and the key to success and wellbeing.
Contact Beth Kavanagh, Ontario CEC Membership Chair firstname.lastname@example.org
Canadian Community on CEC website
Take a look at “My Communities” when you sign in, as there is a Canadian Community that we, as Canadian members, can use to network with our colleagues across the country (much like the CECommunity All-Members Forum).
If you are having trouble signing in you may need to update your password to fulfill the new requirements.
Meet the Board of Directors Candidates – CEC International
The election period to fill three vacancies on the CEC Board of Directors will officially open on October 11—and it's never been more important to learn about the candidates before you vote. As members of the CEC community, it’s our job to find the most wellqualified and best-fitting candidates who bring a diversity of perspectives to the work of the Board of Directors in order to advance CEC’s mission. Join us! All members will receive an email via SurveyMonkey with a unique link to vote by October 12. Over the next few weeks, take a few minutes to read about the candidates and learn more about what each one will bring CEC.